In recent weeks, US authorities have started to release some of the Chinese-made Bitcoin mining hardware that had been seized at various ports of entry. This development follows months of detention, which had caused significant operational challenges for US-based Bitcoin mining companies. The seizures were primarily initiated by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the request of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), with reasons cited including potential violations of radio frequency emission regulations.
As of reports from early March 2025, thousands of units have been released, with industry executives estimating that up to 10,000 units were previously stuck at ports. However, many machines still remain detained, indicating that the issue is not fully resolved. This partial release is seen as a step forward, but the industry continues to face uncertainties.
Background of the Seizure
The seizures began late last year, with reports from November 2024 indicating that CBP, at the FCC’s request, started detaining imports of Bitmain Antminer ASICs at ports including San Francisco and Detroit. The reasons for these seizures are multifaceted, with several factors identified:
- Radio Frequency Emission Concerns: The FCC regulates devices classified as “unintentional radiators,” which include digital equipment like Bitcoin miners that use electrical signals operating at radio frequencies but do not intentionally emit RF energy . Industry executives, such as Ethan Vera of Luxor Technology, argue that the CBP and FCC mistakenly classified Bitcoin mining ASICs as radio frequency devices, despite clear evidence to the contrary. Vera noted, “Radio Frequency Equipment are devices designed to transmit, receive, or manipulate radio waves. ASICs process electrical signals but do not intentionally generate or transmit radio frequency signals.”
- Trade Tensions with China: The seizures are part of broader US-China trade tensions, particularly concerning semiconductor technology. Some machines were detained because they carried chips from Sophgo, a Chinese chip company under trade restrictions, linked to alleged connections with Huawei, a blacklisted company. This aligns with the Trump administration’s efforts to onshore sensitive electronics industries and reduce dependence on Chinese technology.
- National Security Concerns: There have been historical concerns about Chinese technology in sensitive sectors, with reports from 2023 highlighting scrutiny of Chinese Bitcoin mines near US military installations. While not directly cited in recent reports, this context suggests a broader security framework influencing the seizures.
Details of the Release Process
The release of seized equipment was first reported on March 5, 2025, with industry executives providing insights into the scale and implications. Taras Kulyk, CEO of Synteq Digital, told Reuters that “thousands of units have been released,” noting that at one point, as many as 10,000 units had been stuck at various ports. Ethan Vera added that “some held shipments are being released, but right now that is still a minority of them,” indicating that many units remain detained.
The release process appears to be gradual, with no official timeline provided by CBP or FCC for the remaining detained units. Reports suggest that the detained models include the Bitmain Antminer S21 and T21 series, as well as equipment from MicroBT and Canaan, expanding the scope of affected manufacturers.
Industry response has been vocal, with executives like Kulyk suggesting that the seizures were a deliberate move by some CBP officials who “didn’t like bitcoin mining” and wanted to give the sector a headache. Vera and others are seeking support from lobbyist groups to clarify regulations and mitigate future actions, pointing to potential political motivations amid US-China trade tensions. Some shipping companies located in China and Hong Kong said they have suspended the shipment of Bitcoin mining hardware to the US and the recovery time is uncertain.